Wednesday, August 28, 2013

So this is Birchbox...

My first Birchbox finally came!

The theme for this month is Finishing School, and the Company actually collaborated with Ann Taylor to provide subscribers with a guide to some of fall's best accessory trends.

That's pretty cool.

The box, however,...I'm honestly a bit underwhelmed.

The box is pretty sturdy, so I'll probably end up re-using it somehow.

From their site, Birchbox states that it provides subscribers with "high-end beauty, grooming, and lifestyle samples that have been customized for [them]." All this for $10 a month.


The month's insert

"Once upon a time, finishing school meant an elegant Swiss academy where a young lady went to learn the intricacies of high society. While the concept may feel a bit outdated (truth be told, we’re more likely to sign up for a night class in Photoshop), we love the idea of zeroing in on the details: from the elegance of a handwritten invitation, to the confidence-boosting power of bright red lipstick."


The reverse of the insert card, which lists the products contained in my box and how each is to be used.


I received the following products:

Amika Obliphica Blow Up Spray: I'm excited to try this. The card describes this as having a berry scent, but I think it has a strong floral fragrance. It's not particularly unpleasant, but might be a bit too strong for me;

Jouer Eye Definer (in the color noir): Full size product, and I love the color I received! Noir is a nice black with a bit-o-sparkle. Fancy! In addition, it's a creamy consistency that went on smooth, and definitely has staying power. The tip broke off instantly, but I'll deal;

Coola SPF 45 Sport sunscreen in Mango: I've heard good things about Coola, and I loooooove all things mango. I wish I could use this; but my skin is so sensitive that I'm not about to switch things up from my Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Mist Sunscreen :) I just love it too much. Lol! That being said, the sample is so tiny that I don't think I would be able to get an accurate idea of how well the product works were I to use it. I'll probably pass this on to a friend; and

Jasmine Seven Fresh Feet Wipes: Cute idea, but I don't see myself buying a full-size of this product. I'll keep these in my travel case as a just in case item.


I received this as a Beauty Extra. It's the Benefit Cosmetics Triple Performing Facial Emulsion + Total Moisture Facial Cream + It's Potent! Eye Cream. The insert describes this as a "three-step system for scoring an ultraradiant, youthful, and deeply hydrated complexion". Not much to say about these as I haven't tried them yet, but I have been looking for a decent moisturizer. We'll see.

Well, as I said, overall I'm underwhelmed by what I received. I did the profile quiz...but who knows. I hope next month's is better. That being said, the products were definitely worth more than the subscription price of $10, so I can't be too disappointed.

If you're thinking of giving Birchbox a whirl, I'd appreciate it if you used my referral link @ http://birch.ly/16gHmcu :)

Later gators,
M

No comments: