Monday, August 12, 2013

I've got a case of the ipsy's...

I have to say, I am really liking this whole monthly subscription business :)

Having samples of goodies sent to you in the mail...it's a bit like Christmas, and I'm all for that. Two of my co-workers subscribe to BeautyBar.com Sample Society's box. You should see the giddy little looks they get on their faces when their boxes arrive - it's hilarious. I've seen two months of Beauty Bar boxes and wasn't in love with the products they contained, but my co-workers love the service so good for them.

After looking around a bit, I decided to take ipsy.com for a spin. I liked the products I was seeing, and $10/month with a cute cosmetics bag, instead of a boring box, sounded just about right. I'm seeing a lot of comparisons between ipsy and Birchbox (also $10/month for the women's box); most of which pointed out that ipsy concentrates mostly on cosmetics, while Birchbox can include various other items including skincare items, hair accessories and other miscellaneous treasures. I may try Birchbox out at some point; but for now I'll give ipsy a go.

The thing with both companies is that they are so popular that the waitlists are pretty crazy. Birchbox's website actually has you request an invite via email, and the wait time is about 4 weeks. I requested an invite code a couple of days ago, so we'll see how long it takes me to get one and if I choose to actually subscribe when I do. As for ipsy, I was on their waitlist for about 3 weeks before receiving email confirmation that my subscription was accepted; and I am so glad that it was. August's bag looks adorable (purple is my favorite color, after all) and this month's products look like a great way to start out with the company :)

One thing that I already love about ipsy is the 'Glam Room' on their website that shows you exactly what you'll be getting in your bag.


Supposedly through 'ipsymatch' (a combination of your initial survey answers, who you like/follow on the site and your reviews) they achieve more effective tailoring of the bag contents to your needs, etc. Pretty sweet if it actually works :)

Based on my Glam Room, I'm particularly excited to receive the Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick and the Michael Todd Jojoba Charcoal Facial Scrub. I'm always on the lookout for new lipstick shades to try and UD is great. Hopefully, the one I receive is complimentary to my skin tone. As for the scrub, I recently finished the one I was using, and can't wait to see how this one stacks up. It has some pretty stellar reviews.

My handy-dandy tracking email states that my bag is already on its way, and I can't wait to see if the reality measures up to the pics. We shall see :)

So, Birchbox or ipsy? Which do you prefer?

Later gators,
M

No comments: