Wednesday, October 23, 2013

It's a scary delicious Love with Food box...sort of

My box of treats came...


and I was happy to see that one of my subscription boxes actually celebrated Halloween a bit!

Spooooky! Lol!


I received 8 different treats this month; some more trick than treat.


First up, are Chocolate Pizzelle Crisps from Silk City Snacks, and Pixo Pearls from Vinaigerie Gingras.

Initially, I was excited to see the Pizzelle Crisps, thinking that they would be reminiscent of that simply divine caramel-filled waffle cookie from a past box. I also liked that each crisp is only 5 calories, with the whole bag totaling only 100 calories. Delicious light snack, right? Wrong. While they had a nice crunch were so bland, that I felt like I was eating handfuls of crunchy paper. My hubby didn't mind the taste and ended up finishing the pack, but these crisps are not something we would ever purchase.

We haven't tried the Pixo Pearls (apple cider vinegar pearls) yet. I'm not actually sure of how to use them. If anyone has any ideas for tasty ways to utilize them, feel free to let me know :)


Up next we have Toasted Coconut Chips from Dang, Happy Squeeze from Happy Family (fruit and veggie twist), and New World Caveman Cookies by Caveman Bakery.

I don't really care for coconut, but I'm seeing rave reviews from others about these chips. I've seen some reviews that say they look a bit like toenail clippings! With that in mind, I'm saving my pack to adorn the tops of some Halloween potluck cupcakes. Hopefully, they'll be a hit. I also haven't tried the Happy Squeeze or the caveman cookie as of yet, but I'm eager to. I like fruit and veggie combos (I just wonder about the consistency), and that cookie? A chewy cookie with maple syrup, honey, dried cranberries...yes please.


Lastly, I received 2 4-count packs of Triple Berry Glee Gum from Verve, Inc., a Nut Delight Kind Bar from Kind Snacks, and 3 Organic Hard Candies from Torie and Howard.

The Nut Delight bar was amazing. I love almonds and this bar was chock-full of whole nutty goodness. I've seen Kind Bars in stores before, and have always wanted to try them. I ate this sample on the way home one day. I was starving and it held me over for a few hours! I will definitely be buying more.

I wasn't a fan of either the gum or the hard candies. The gum's coating is made with brown rice and cane sugar - very cool, but I found it to be too sweet, with a strange aftertaste. The hard candies didn't wow me either. I received two of the blood orange & honey flavor, and one d'anjou pear & cinnamon.


I love pears so I was excited about that flavor, but it was horrid. I kept it in my mouth for only about 30 seconds before I had to spit it out. Sad day. My hubby liked the blood orange, but not enough to buy a pack of them. I gave the second orange candy to my friend, P, and she loved it so much, she's thinking of subscribing to LwF and picking up a few packs. Different strokes for different folks. Lol!

So, for all my fellow Love with Foodies, how did you like the spooooky box? What was your favorite treat? No surprise, the Kind Bar is the clear winner for me. It's so tasty! Man, I wish I had one right now :)

Of course, if you haven't yet subscribed and would like to, I'd appreciate it if you used my referral link. Thanks in advance!

I wonder if next month's box will have a Thanksgiving theme. We shall see.

Later gators,
M

No comments: