Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Step and Repeat with Birchbox


For their February 2014 box, Birchbox teamed up with the editors at US Weekly to bring subscribers some fantastic awards season/red carpet worthy beauty products. The resulting box theme? Step and Repeat.
 

Unfortunately, I found my box to be less than stellar.

 
This month I received:
 
SARAHPOTEMPA's The Half-Up hair styling tool: This is not for my hair type at all. It's a cool product (a min version of the WRAP UP hair tool that helps secure a bun without bobby pins), but I'll never use it, so it's already been gifted away;
 
Miracle Skin Transformer Face Spotlight: According to the insert card, this product is supposed to nourish skin and leave the user with a "radiant, photo-ready glow". I have yet to try the product, but I'm definitely interested. Unfortunately, when I held the sample up to the light, I could see that there is enough sample for maybe 2 uses. I'm tempted to say 'poor sample size with this one Birchbox', but I haven't heard/read this kind of complaint from others who received this item, so I may have just gotten a dud sample;
 
Joan Vass L'eau de Amethyste: I'm not a fan. I generally love trying new scents, but the instant I spritzed this sample, I knew it wasn't for me. To me is smells like a cross between Raid bug spray and a discount floral air freshener - neither of which I wish to wear. If I can't give this away, it will likely be tossed;

 
Two packets of 32 Oral Care Effervescent Breath Crystals with IsoVoxy: I received the flavors Spearmint and Lemon Mint. These Pop Rocks style breath freshening crystals were this month's Lifestyle Extra. I haven't tried either pack yet so I can't speak to their taste, and I was never a big fan of Pop Rocks, but I'll keep these in my purse or desk;

 

The last product I received this month is my favorite, though there wasn't that much competition. I received OPI Sheer Tints in Be Magentale with Me. I read some other reviews, and consider myself lucky that I received this color instead of the apparently jaundice color inducing amber or the weird Smurf-like blue/teal tint. This can be worn alone to give nails subtle color, or can be used as a top coat over polish to achieve a "chic shade-shifting effect". This tiny bottle is definitely the winner in this box.

What did you other Birchboxers think of your boxes this month? Hopefully, you had more positive reactions to your received products than I did.

If you are not yet a subscriber, but would like to be, I'd appreciate it if you used my referral link (share the love and all that goodness). Just click HERE :)

Later gators,
M

No comments: